So its after new years and I’ve planned my trip to Miami with all my girlfriends, and now its DETOX!! But what does the word “detox” really mean? Nothing. Scientists have debunked the word detox and most of the products out there that are marketed to “detox” your body can’t even point out what toxins they are removing from your body.
What I mean by detox is a healthy diet basically. Many people use the word “diet” to mean “starve,” but I like the word detox because its sounds better to most people because it’s a semi permanent state of living that ends at a certain point. But the ultimate detox is just to live a healthy lifestyle all the time, to eat lean, exercise and not drinking or smoking. But nobody’s perfect.
Making a plan to “detox” and loose some holiday weight can be difficult, but as long as you are realistic then you can accomplish your goal. I’m going to Miami in only 3 weeks, so a 5-7 lb goal is perfectly achievable goal. I always try to underestimate my goal because then you feel better when you achieve it and then you tend to push yourself further if you accomplish that goal. At least that’s how I like to think about it.
My “Detox” Diet:
- Drink lots of water every day. Doctor’s recommend eight 8-oz glasses a day, which is half a gallon of water every day.
- Drink tea or low calorie flavored water instead of soda or juice.
- Eat less sugar. When you eat less sugar, you want less sugar.
- Eat more complex carbs. This means wheat bread over white bread.
- Eat more lean meat. Meats have vitamin B6, iron (especially in red meet), magnesium and zinc.
- Eat more nuts. Nuts have a mix of omega-3 fatty acids, protein and fiber.
- Eat good fat, not bad fat. Polyunsaturated fats, like Omega-3s, and monounsaturated fats are good fats. Vegetable oil, fatty fish, olives, avocados, hazelnuts, and almonds are all just some examples of good fats.
- At least 30 minuets of exercise a day. You must exercise until you start sweating, if it takes more than 30 mins to get you to sweat, keep going. Lookup “burpees,” they will really get your heart pumping fast!
- Workout for 1-2 hours once or twice a week. Strength training is important, so don’t forget about those weights!